Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Similes and Metaphor





Similes and Metaphor

Metaphor- a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance
Simile- a figure of speech in which two unlike things are explicitly compared, as in “she is like a rose.” Compare metaphor.
Dictionary.com for both
Metaphor:
1.       “My cheeks are on fire”- p 51
2.       “My father’s voice is an ax”-p 54
3. " Just so you know: shame is five fingered"- p 54
4. "... that smooth, cool voice falls into my ear."- p 61
5. "... the one who will lead us through war, our general, our white knight?"- p 60
Simile:
1.       “It comes out in a thick clump, drifts down to the carpet like a small blizzard”- p 67
2.       “ My throat closes like the shutter of a camera, so that any air or excuses must move through a tunnel as thin as a pin”-  p 54
3. "I turn around slowly, tears springing to my eyes." -p 66
4." The information is endless, a series of darts thrown so fast I cannot feel them sting anymore."- p 63
5." Only six months ago, she had her first haircut; the gold ringlets curled like coins on the floor of the SuperCuts."- p 62

My opinion
When the book uses metaphors and similes, I think that it explains the book way more. It gives a chance for the reader to make a connection to the story. Using metaphors they can tell what people sound like and look like but similes they can see how their feelings are like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment